This plant combination in fiery tones for full sun will hold up to the heat of high summer. An abundance of flowers over a long period will keep it colorful and fun, producing enough blooms to have cut flowers to enjoy in a vase as well as in the garden.
This vignette is especially suited for smaller gardens thanks to the dwarf stature of its anchoring shrub, Winecraft Black® Smokebush. If you’re gardening in a larger space and/or have difficulty finding this recently introduced variety, Cotinus 'Grace'
would make a fine substitute, though you’ll want to re-evaluate quantity and spacing to accommodate its larger size.
Though this plant combination includes some all-season structure—a carpet of copper-colored grass and the strictly upright spires of the finely-textured blue conifer—this plant combination peaks summer into fall, so keep that in mind in terms of where you situate it in your garden.
Download this file for a clear, easy-to-follow plan for installing this garden at home. You'll get a to-scale drawing with placement and quantities of plants clearly identified.
What you'll get:
- THREE Different Layout Designs (see the list below)
- PDF file (18 letter-size pages)
- Plan-view schematics showing location and quantity of each plant in two different bed configurations.
- Elevation and bird's eye renderings to help you visualize how the garden looks.
Bed sizes included:
- 8' deep x 16' wide, rectangular bed. Because it's designed to look good from all sides, it would work well in a boulevard strip or along the front edge of property.
- 7' deep x 10' wide, rectangular bed. Because it's designed to look good from one side, it would work well in front of a fence, wall, or against your house.
- An ell-shaped bed with 14' legs tapering to 5'' at each end. This garden is designed to look from all sides so would work well as a front yard, street-side corner bed.